The Year was 1970.
The inflation rate had risen to 5.85 percent.
United States President: Richard Millhouse Nixon.
The US population was about 205 million and our life expectancy was 70.5 years.
The murder rate was still about 5 murders per 100,000 or 16 K in the United States..
The Median Household Income was $8,700 for the average laborer.
A new house would cost you close to $26,500 and if you rented a two bedroom the average monthly rent for that would be $155.
The minimum wage in 1970 was 1970 $1.60 per hour, the equivalent of $10.35 in 2018
Groceries were easier to come by and lower in price. Bacon was 75 cents a pound and eggs .62 for a dozen. A gallon of milk cost about $1.15 and a loaf of bread was approximately 50 cents.
Sending a letter across the country would cost you $.06 in postage.
A gallon of gas cost about 36 cents.
The top selling car was the Chevy and it sold for $4,270 or a bit more, depending on your options.
We were wearing Bib overalls with fancy designs and suede coats and fringed boots. Many anti war pieces of clothing were showing up such as military coats with peace signs on them.
Top News for 1970
- The National Guard fired on Kent State Protestors killing four.
- The first computer chess tournament happens
- The remote controlled Soviet Moon rover travels on the face of the moon.
- Thalidomide babies are given recompense from drug companies.
- Concorde made the first supersonic flight.
- Singer Janis Joplin dies in a cheap motel from an overdose of heroin
- Jimi Hendrix dies of an overdose in a London hotel
- Voting age is lowered to 18
“Ohio” by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young was the battle cry, protest song, and counterculture anthem about the killings at Kent State by National Guardsmen. The song was recorded 21 days after the Kent State massacre of four student protesters.
ABC News reports the death of Jimi Hendrix September 18, 1970
Janis Joplin’s Last TV Appearance – Dick Cavett Show, August 3, 1970
Products introduced in 1970
AMC Hornet Automobile
Buick Estate Wagon
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
McDonald’s Shamrock Shake
Munch Candy Bar
1970 AMC Gremlin TV Commercial
1970 Music, Television and Movies
Music – The Top 5 Songs of 1970
Song rankings are based on information from The Billboard Hot 100 Chart Data
1. Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel (Columbia)
2. (They Long to Be) Close to You – The Carpenters (A&M)
3. American Woman / No Sugar Tonight – Guess Who (RCA)
4. Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head – B.J. Thomas (Scepter)
5. War – Edwin Starr (Gordy)
TV– The Top 5 TV Shows of 1970
1. Marcus Welby, M.D. (ABC)
2. The Flip Wilson Show (NBC)
Flip Wilson “The Committee” with Phyllis Diller and Ray Charles (Part 1 of 4)
3. Here’s Lucy (CBS)
4. Ironside (NBC)
5. Gunsmoke (CBS)
Movies – The Top 5 Grossing Movies of 1970
1. Love Story (Paramount)
“Love means you never have to say you’re sorry.” (Except for making this movie.)